Career Opportunities in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

Audiologists and speech-language pathologists provide services to prevent, diagnose, evaluate, and treat communication disorders.  A master’s degree is required to be a Speech-Language Pathologist and a clinical doctorate (AuD) is required to be an audiologist.

Information on careers in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology can be found on the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) website at and and the Texas Speech-Language Hearing Association (TSHA) website

The American Academy of Audiology has information on their Employment Resources page at


The State of Texas licenses Assistants in Speech-Language Pathology.  To become an Assistant in Speech-Language Pathology, a person must have:

The Department of Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology does not and can not guarantee acceptance of any course by the Board of Examiners. It is up to the discretion of the Board of Examiners to accept or deny courses for SLP-Assistant licensure. The applicant should review the course catalog descriptions of all courses that will be submitted to the Examiners during the application process to ensure matching with current Examiner requirements.

a. Bachelor’s degree in communication disorders, such as the UNT ASLP bachelor’s degree, 25 hours of clinical observation and 25 hours of clinical practicum hours


b. Bachelor’s degree other than a communication disorders degree and 24 college credits relating to Speech Language Pathology (including a 3 hour speech disorders class and a 3 hour language disorders course), 25 hours of clinical observation and 25 hours of clinical practicum hours


For more information on being an Assistant in Speech-Language Pathology, assistant licensing rules and forms, go to the Texas State Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology at