Bachelor's Degree and Minor in Speech-Language Pathology/Audiology

Covid-19 Announcement

Out of an abundance of caution and in support of the community’s efforts to contain and slow the spread of COVID-19, beginning Monday, March 23rd, all in-person speech, language, and audiology testing services have been suspended at the UNT Speech and Hearing Center until further notice. Online speech and language teletherapy sessions will be available to all patients.

If you would like to transition to teletherapy sessions and have not made arrangements already, or if you need hearing aid services, please call our front office at (940) 565-2262 and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you for your understanding during these unprecedented times. Your health and safety are our highest priority.

Skip to information about Obtaining a Second Bachelor's Degree or Declaring a Minor in Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology.


The bachelor's degree is a pre-professional degree for persons wishing to pursue graduate study in speech-language pathology and audiology. The master's degree is required to be licensed in Texas and for clinical certification by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). Beginning in the year 2007, the Doctor of Audiology will be the entry-level degree needed to practice audiology.

The pre-professional program provides basic preparation in the normal development and functioning of speech, language, and hearing, and introductory courses concerned with communication disorders and appropriate remedial procedures. Clinical activities are scheduled concurrently with academic progress and involve diagnostic and therapeutic interaction with speech, language and hearing handicapped individuals under closely supervised conditions. Satisfactory completion of the master's programs or the professional doctorate program enables individuals to meet the academic and clinical practicum requirements for ASHA's Certificate of Clinical Competence and the state of Texas license in speech-language pathology and/or audiology.

For more information about the BS Degree or Minor in Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology and/or to schedule an advising appointment, send an email to an advisor.

Bachelor of Science Requirements

Minor in Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology

Course Availability by Semester


Obtaining a Second Bachelor's Degree

Getting a 2nd Bachelors degree is equated to being a double major, the only difference is that the 2nd major is obtained at a later date. Classes taken while obtaining the first Bachelor’s (mainly core classes) will be applied to the 2nd Bachelor’s, eliminating the need to retake these classes. The student would then be required to only take new classes that have not already been taken for the new major. The 2nd bachelor’s degree-seeking student will take all of the SPHS courses (39 hours).

Career Information

For more information about careers in speech-language pathology, please visit our Careers page. It contains links to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and the Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Association's career information web pages.

Additional Steps for a 2nd Bachelors degree-seeking student:

1. After acceptance into the UNT Toulouse Graduate School, set an appointment with a College of Health and Public Service advisor by calling (940)565-4115, located in Chilton Hall Room 290.

The HPS advisor will review your transcripts from your 1st bachelor’s degree and determine which Core and HPS class requirements you still need.  Because of ASLP UG class requirements, the most common classes a student still needs are Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics or level III and level IV of a foreign language.  The 1st bachelor’s counts as the minor for the 2nd bachelor’s degree.

2. Once the HPS advisor has reviewed your 1st bachelor’s degree, set an appointment with an ASLP departmental advisor.

A departmental advisor can be reached by clicking here. At this appointment, you will fill out the paperwork to officially declare ASLP as a 2nd Bachelors degree.

Designation as a 2nd Bachelor’s degree student with the UNT Toulouse School of Graduate Studies AND the 2nd Bachelors Degree plan paperwork is REQUIRED to be an official 2nd bachelor degree-seeking student.

3. Take all of the required classes for a bachelor’s degree in ASLP.


Minor in Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology